Monday 15 December 2008

It's CHRISTMAAAAAASSSSS!!!!!!!

Well.... Almost....

So... It's been a bit of a hectic time of late. After the disappointment of not being able to go back to Uni, I've now been made a full time employee in the job I've been doing as a temp since May. So life is now hopefully going to be a lot less stressful knowing that I actually have a salary coming in, and I'm not in a situation where they could just say 'Oh... Don't bother coming in tomorrow... We don't need you any more...' That possibility has been giving me nightmares for months.

Over the last week I've resurrected an old laptop, bunged a few different distros of linux on it before settling on PCLinuxOS (the list was: Ubuntu 8.10, DSL 4.4.1 and Puppy 4.1.2) for no other reason than I couldn't be bothered trying out a new one. The main purpose of this was to use the laptop as a kind of thin client to play videos on the living room TV over a wireless network; play mp3's through the stereo; and allow people to show YouTube videos at parties without having to go into my bedroom! :)

It all seems to be up and working okay. For a tutorial on streaming media over a wireless network using vlc have a look over on my wiki.

It's going to be somewhat of a strange Christmas this year as I'm going home to Cumbria to spend Christmas with family. Something I've not done for thirteen years. It'll likely be the last time I visit Cumbria so I plan to have a wander around my old neighborhood and say goodbye.

So, if I don't post again before then... Hope you all have a good Christmas and New Year.... And remember... A turkey is for life.... Not just for Christmas....

No comments: